Friday, August 1, 2008

Get packin' -- August 1, 2008


Labyrinth at Cherry Point, Michigan

I decided last year that it was time to go to Santa Fe. Alisa and I planned a road trip for our yearly mother-daughter outing. But then I found out that Teddy Rhodes was going to be singing in Santa Fe this year and put off the trip to see him. Then gas went to $4.25 a gallon and I put the idea of a road trip on the back burner, so to speak.

But in June, I was overcome with the need to see Teddy, so I called A. and said, “I’m going to Santa Fe; do you want to go?” She said, “Sounds like fun.” She even agreed to go to the opera with me, although every time she does she says, “Why do they have to be three hours long?"

So I have two Billy Budd tickets for next Wednesday. It’s gonna be great! Bill Burden is singing Vere and I love him, too. I heard him sing Lakme and Faust in Detroit and he has the most beautiful tenor. I will try to get a ticket for the Mozart and the Handel, too, once I get to Santa Fe.

I heard Rhodes sing Don Giovanni in 2004 in Cincinnati and he was heavenly. He’s going to sing Nozze there next summer. Listen to a preview on his Mozart Arias CD published in 2003 by ABC Classics.

Tomorrow we hit the road. Stay tuned.

No comments: